This was the first book by Kylie Lee Baker that I've ever read and I can't wait to read her other books. When I think of Gothic horror, I think of fever dream, death, unhappiness, hallucinations and all the things. This book had EVERYTHING.
First and foremost - the setting. Absolutely spooky - it's a Japanese cottage in the middle of the woods - near an ocean or maybe not. I wasn't ever entirely clear. And the characters?! To die for (literally and figuratively). They were absolutely fascinating and I was drawn into them. They were beautifully written, as was the storytelling. Ms. Baker uses a dual timeline narrative to tell the story, which was very effective in keeping my head spinning and me on my toes. However, when the two timelines finally collide, you better watch out!
The themes that were explored also very much hit hard for me. The novel dives deeply into themes surrounding perception, regret, mistakes and the role that the land/property plays in holding onto the atrocities that are committed upon them. It points out the consequences of our choices and how the place bears witness, often holding onto it. The writing itself is beautiful. It's lucid, flowing and super easy to get lost in. I found that chapters would go by before I remembered that I had to get ready for work.
This is a novel that will warrant a second reading for me so that I can pretend to maybe understand more the novel and I look very much forward to her other novels.

No comments:
Post a Comment