Friday, August 14, 2026

REVIEW: Ironwood by Michael Connolly (Book 2 of the Catalina books)

 


I have enjoyed Michael Connelly - I need to catch up on the Bosch books, but I'm up to date on Sergeant Stillwell and the Catalina books! From the first page, Sergeant Stillwell is in it.  He's at an airstrip scene where two of his deputies are jeopardized and it goes full throttle from there. 

As background or explanation, an Ironwood tree has a single root that spawns often multiple, beautiful trees. And somehow, it manages to encapsulate Stillwell, who is exiling in Catalina. He still loves the island, its people and the people that he works with - he would never have thought that he was going to be into community policing but here he is. So when the particular tragedy at the center of this book happens it's as close to devastating for him as anything he has experienced to date. As a result of that tragedy, Stil is relegated to the substation but really? Do you think he's actually going to listen? HECK NO. When he starts cleaning out the lost and found, he locates a backpack that belonged to a girl that went missing while hiking on the island many years prior.  Once he reports that to the mainland, the Cold Case unit becomes involved including fan favorite Renee Ballard (who is a badass in her own right). He gets invovled in that investigation AND manages to deal with run of the mill stuff on the island as well as get to the bottom of the tragic events that landed him, supposedly, on the bench to begin. 

I LOVED  this book. I brought it to the beach with me when I went on vacation and finished it the same day that I started it. It is VERY fast paced  and readable - it kept me hanging on wanting to know more and of course, the characters are AMAZING and memorable. Stil is one of my favorites because he wants to do the right thing and nothing is going to stop him.  Be prepared, there is a lot going on with three major cases (an story lines) going on at the same time. I had a chart to help me keep track so it didn't bother me, but if you get easily thrown by that then it might not be the book for you. 

I am certainly looking forward to the next installment. Keep it coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: Ironwood by Michael Connolly (Book 2 of the Catalina books)

  I have enjoyed Michael Connelly - I need to catch up on the Bosch books, but I'm up to date on Sergeant Stillwell and the Catalina boo...