Friday, September 6, 2019

The Girl Who Lived Twice by David Lagercrantz



Lisbeth Salander is one of my all time favorite fictional characters (as is Ellen Ripley quite frankly). So even though the original author is no longer with us (RIP Stieg Larsson!), I love Lisbeth enough to stick it out.

In this book, we continue with Lisbeth as she dukes it out with her Russian mafia allied sister while also helping Mikael B. (as I affectionately call him) solve an ancillary mystery that has nothing to do with Lisbeth's thirst for revenge. In particular, Mikael is attempting to solve the mysteries related to a climb up Mount Everest.

I don't feel like I can give much more away without ruining the book because a large part of these books is the slow unfolding of the plot.  What I an say is that I really missed Salander's physical presence. She's so awesome and so badass that only having her kind of sort of present was a bummer. I was also way more intrigued by Mikael's storyline than Lisbeth's - which just seemed old.  I found myself saying - oh just get ON with it.  IF this really were Lisbeth it would have been done with already in a cold and calculating way and clean too. Unlike with the previous books, I didn't find myself gripped and could have easily walked away from the book and not shed a tear about it.

If you're going to start anywhere with Lisbeth, start with the original trilogy.   Just like Star Wars, the originals contain something that subsequent  books have yet to capture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....