Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Black Echo by Michael Connelly

So, let's talk about Harry Bosch. I first got into this because of the Amazon original series, Bosch. One of my friends recommended that I watch it when I needed something to watch in the (limited) downtime that I had and boy were they ever right. I don't know if  it's because I have a thing for the actor that plays Bosch - he nails the role - or just a thing for cops but it hooked me. I also really love True Crime and crime books in general so this seemed like a complete natural for me.

For those of you that don't know, the main character is Harry Bosch, a Vietnam war vet and tunnel rat. We are introduced to him in this book and he, in his current iteration, is a homicide detective with the LAPD. In this particular book, the death of a fellow tunnel rat has drawn Bosch's attention. Bosch thinks it's tied to a robbery that uses underground tunnels.

I don't want to give away too much more of the plot because that's the whole point of crime fiction right?  But the character of Bosch is so attractive to me.  He's so multi-layered. He's a loner that wants some company and loves jazz and good art and can shoot a gun and doesn't give a frig about anything (at least on the surface! Deep down I'm convinced he's a softy). And ultimately, he's one of THE most realistic and perfectly flawed protagonists I've ever seen and I love him and Michael Connelly for creating him like this. I loved that Connelly knew enough about police work to be able to combine the differences in police and state procedurals and do so in a way that wasn't heavy handed at all.  There is also humor in this novel in spite of the ultimately very serious subject matter but it's dry and subtle and I really believe you have to be in the know to get it.

I'm already reading the second book in the series. SO good. Grab it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....