Sunday, August 18, 2019

Why Shopping Local is a Value I Have

I know that this isn't strictly a review, but it's tangentially related, I promise. On Thursday, I went to an amazing and inspiring event at the LaBelle Winery in Amherst, NH. It was called "She Built This" and was put on by Kristen Hardwick (the badass photographer that took our photos for my real life job) - and Emily Aborn This was the second annual panel discussion featuring three female entrepreneurs.  This year, the panelists were Rebecca Hamilton (who owns Badger Balm and Machina Arts), Jennifer Desrosiers (who owns Laney and Lu) and Jessica Terzakis.  Jennifer also owns an adventure company.

It was such a good event and while there, I saw one of my favorite vendors - Her Tribe Athletics.

Anyways it got me really thinking about the importance of supporting local vendors and local businesses.  Whenever I go to a new city, I really make an effort to visit a local bookstore and buy something.  And I actually really feel good about doing so because, on some level, while I did realize how much of a help that one purchase may be, I don't think I truly appreciated the blood, sweat and tears that went into creating this business.  There's a certain drive and commitment that it takes to do something like this and rewarding  person with my business, especially another woman, is vitally important to me.

On that note, I wanted to say the following:  I love Her Tribe Athletics.  I buy from her as much as I can. I love her clothing. I love her messaging, and she's at all the races that I run. Rock on sistah!

Over the last few months I have had to access local services and I can't say enough of them. My car needed some work lately and I utilized Merrimack Auto Center.  I left a message requesting an appointment - I suspected there were  brake issues - and they got me in first thing on a Monday morning and I had a car that felt like new that afternoon.  They were the true consummate professionals (and had two VERY sweet dogs that I got to love on while I waited!). The second service I had to utilize was when my fridge started to go - I needed someone to come in to take a look at and repair it.  I used Derry Repair - Fred came out after his sweet wife scheduled the appointment for me and my fridge was good to go right after. Fred was the type of repair person that I would trust to come into my home for all of my appliance repairs when I wasn't home.  He was quick, affordable and I have no issues to date.

It's so important to support your neighbors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....