Friday, March 29, 2024

REVIEW: Tracy Flick Can't Win by Tom Perrotta

 


I loved Election - both the book and the movie (starring Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick) - and Tom Perrotta in general.  Tracy Flick is such a great character - so when I saw that there was a new book - a sequel - about Tracy, I was all over it! 

This novel takes place approximately 20 years after the events of Election and Tracy is dealing with a life that she never anticipated having. After high school, Tracy went to Georgetown as an undergrad and was just beginning law school, also at Georgetown, when her mother gets very ill, causing Tracy to have to return to care for her. She's now the Assistant Principal at Green Meadow HS in NJ, and she doesn't care for it. She's still very ambitious, but the job isn't what she wants. Tracy's hopes are raised when the current principal, Jack Weede, announces his retirement (finally!) in order to travel the country with his wife, a cancer survivor. Tracy has to interact with members of the school board, including Kyle Dorfman, a parent and computer person who has made his fame by creating a popular application.  She also has to support a hall of fame related to the school, even though it may mean she has to support a former professional football player - and a sport that she abhors.

I really enjoyed this book and the characters.  They are still very well developed and credible in their narration. The chapters themselves are short and told in chronological order, with flashbacks, making the story easy to follow and quick - I read the book in about 2 days. Even though there were a lot of voices, everything was done precisely and I had no issues following what was going on. I don't want to say much more because the end has a bit of a twist, but let's just say that I wish that I had purchased this book instead of merely taking it out of the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....