Tuesday, March 12, 2024

REVIEW: The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

 


I have always been a fan of mystery and crime drama, let's be real.  But I picked up the first in the Bosch series after watching a few episodes on Amazon Prime. And I honestly am glad that I found these books. The book's main character is Harry Bosch, a Vietnam vet and a detective at the LAPD who has had his share of employment woes. When we meet him, he's been sent to the Hollywood Homicide Division, which is a Siberia for detectives, after being demoted from an elite unit after an officer involved shooting. Bosch is called to the scene of a suspected homicide, where he learns that a fellow vet and acquaintance, Billy Meadows, has died under suspicious circumstances. Bosch suspects that the death may be linked to a robbery that the FBI is investigating, and so he teams up with Agent Eleanor Wish to investigate and hopefully prevent another bank robbery.

After reading this, I can see why it won awards when it was written (although, in the nature of full disclosure, it is somewhat dated - for instance, the characters have pagers and must use payphones. Bosch seems like the type of character that would be really grouchy about updates in technology, like cell phones). I enjoyed the character of harry Bosch - he's not infallible and comes with his own baggage. He likes jazz, coffee and cigarettes. He makes decisions that don't always align with the rules. He has a tough exterior, but a wicked soft spot for victims and the vulnerable.  

I also really enjoyed the book and the pacing. It moved very well.  Even though the chapters/sections are long-ish, they are often split out into 2-5 page chunks that make for easy and quick consumption. The pacing itself was very good, even for such a deceptively long book.  And the plot twists! Hang with it and you won't be disappointed. 

I look forward to reading more of these novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....