Tuesday, March 12, 2024

REVIEW: The Black Echo by Michael Connelly

 


I have always been a fan of mystery and crime drama, let's be real.  But I picked up the first in the Bosch series after watching a few episodes on Amazon Prime. And I honestly am glad that I found these books. The book's main character is Harry Bosch, a Vietnam vet and a detective at the LAPD who has had his share of employment woes. When we meet him, he's been sent to the Hollywood Homicide Division, which is a Siberia for detectives, after being demoted from an elite unit after an officer involved shooting. Bosch is called to the scene of a suspected homicide, where he learns that a fellow vet and acquaintance, Billy Meadows, has died under suspicious circumstances. Bosch suspects that the death may be linked to a robbery that the FBI is investigating, and so he teams up with Agent Eleanor Wish to investigate and hopefully prevent another bank robbery.

After reading this, I can see why it won awards when it was written (although, in the nature of full disclosure, it is somewhat dated - for instance, the characters have pagers and must use payphones. Bosch seems like the type of character that would be really grouchy about updates in technology, like cell phones). I enjoyed the character of harry Bosch - he's not infallible and comes with his own baggage. He likes jazz, coffee and cigarettes. He makes decisions that don't always align with the rules. He has a tough exterior, but a wicked soft spot for victims and the vulnerable.  

I also really enjoyed the book and the pacing. It moved very well.  Even though the chapters/sections are long-ish, they are often split out into 2-5 page chunks that make for easy and quick consumption. The pacing itself was very good, even for such a deceptively long book.  And the plot twists! Hang with it and you won't be disappointed. 

I look forward to reading more of these novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW The Sisters by Jonas Hassen Khemiri

  This book is certainly long but it didn't feel long to read at all.  It is an epic novel about three enigmatic sisters and a young man...