Friday, July 31, 2026

REVIEW American Rambler: Walking the Trail of Johnny Appleseed by Isaac Fitzgerald

 


This book has been all over the place and seemed interesting, so I grabbed it. I hadn't read Fitzgerald's earlier book, Dirtbag, Massachusetts (although it's on hold for me at the library!). Fitzgerald is obsessed with Johnny Appleseed (whose legal name was John Chapman) and I guess this makes sense since both hail from Leominster, MA. In the process of searching for an American hero, Fitzgerald found himself.

Fitzgerald, I think, was naturally drawn to this hero.  His parents were hikers and storytellers (the best kind of parents I think) and Fitzgerald was also, I suspect, drawn to the roaming of Appleseed given that Fitzgerald himself was unhoused for quite some time. Life was complicated by his mother's mental illness, and his parents' stormy relationship. That being said, I loved this writer's search for himself in his search for the true story of a legend.  He didn't actually WALK it though, buying a better of a car to make it through and catching a ride home when he was in Massachusetts, having been unable to hack the weather. 

The book often digressed, which I enjoyed, but if that would annoy you, I would stay away. I love digressions because I think they show insight into people, but most people don't understandably. I loved reading about the history of the areas, the time periods and the things that Fitzgerald encountered but my absolute FAVORITE parts were the parts where Fitzgerald described meeting and interacting with some good, solid and authentic people along the way. In these interactions, it becomes quickly clear that he's learning about himself and that is beautiful. I enjoyed seeing and experiencing Fitzgerald be pushed beyond his comfort zone. Fitzgerald also has a sense of humor that makes you snort or chuckle so loudly that the people around you look, openly, at you in a funny manner (not even the side eye!!). 

This book is one for the ages and I can't wait to read his first as well as see what he's got coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW American Rambler: Walking the Trail of Johnny Appleseed by Isaac Fitzgerald

  This book has been all over the place and seemed interesting, so I grabbed it. I hadn't read Fitzgerald's earlier book, Dirtbag, M...