Saturday, March 18, 2023

REVIEW: South to America by Imani Perry

 


This is also a part of the Southern Reading Challenge. I think that I wanted to learn more about the South after actually visiting there for the first time a number of years ago - I went to Atlanta and then again last year when I was in Birmingham, so this collection of stories about the region intrigued me. It's part travelogue - she travels to the places that she writes about - but also a philosophical exploration of the region that results from her travels. She even goes to Florida and Cuba!  (I honestly never thought of Florida as the "real South" but what do I know). 

The most interesting parts of the book for me were when she was describing her own interactions in the South - with the history, the people and her own history there.  I felt like I was right there with her in those moments experiencing what she was experiencing and seeing things through her own eyes.  I could hear her talking and watch things through her eyes.  But those moments were seemingly few and far between.  They were overwhelmed by her sometimes heavy handed stream of consciousness delivery, which made it difficult for me to get through the book.  I sometimes had to take breaks at the ends of chapters to read something else and then come back because it wasn't easy or fun to get through those parts. I often felt that I was watching a closing argument in a trial that wasn't very organized. 

Having said that, I'm glad that I read the book.  I feel like I learned a bit more about a place in my country that I'm not from and haven't really immersed myself in or visited as much.  Perhaps a go from the library instead of a purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....