Monday, January 23, 2023

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

 


I picked up this novel because one of the reading challenges I'm doing is the Southern Reading Challenge. It's also helpful that I'm flying out to Alabama for about a week on Sunday morning, so this is a timely one too.  

In this novel, date rape and murder are primary characters, as much as the actual people themselves, so please be forewarned. Arlene Fleet - called Lena, Arlene and various other names by the people in her family - was a sophomore when she promised God to not lie, to not fornicate and to leave town after she graduated with an eye towards never returning. When we meet her, she's kept those promises - she left for Chicago in 1987 and is getting an advanced degree and in a relationship with Burr - a black lawyer (Lena is white). Ten years later, a former high school classmate (and former girlfriend of Jim Beverly - the antagonist here) shows up randomly at her door asking questions about Jim, who disappeared mysteriously his senior year. At the same time, Burr, who is quite ready to get serious with Arlene, asks for some indication that she's also ready for serious - as in marriage - by taking him back to Alabama to meet her family. Arlene realizes that she needs to go back to do damage control - not only regarding Jim but to salvage her relationship with a really good man.  This novel is about both Jim and Arlene's family, including Burr.

I loved this book. First and foremost, I loved the characters - they made this memorable for me, especially Arlene. I could see, hear and picture her. She's so perfectly imperfect and relatable - just like someone you'd meet anywhere and that was a huge hook for me. Her heart is big and good and in the right place and she has just the right amount of craziness to be believable. ANd Arlene's backstory from childhood through high school is something else. I loved her Aunt Flo as well - again I could see, hear and picture her - and she's a force to be reckoned with. Aunt Flo has had to be strong for the entire family, including Arlene's mother who suffered greatly after the death of Arlene's father and that caused her to put on a tough face to conceal the big heart underneath. 

I enjoyed the plot development as well. The book is told in chapters  that alternate between the present and the past that Arlene is trying to deal with.  I thought that I had it pegged but I absolutely did not.  At all. That's pretty unusual for me lately so kudos to Ms. Jackson for being able to do that. Definitely recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

I hope that everyone had a good week. The weather here  has been warm!  I've been alternating gym workouts with running outside.  the 25...