Saturday, January 4, 2020

New Review: Blue Moon Promise by Colleen Coble


I'll be honest: this isn't my "normal" go-to type of book. It's about subjects that I don't normally read about or enjoy, but I wanted something lighter right now - ok, to be honest, I needed something that was light and quick to read right now.  So I picked this book up and read the description of the story, and it seemed right, under the circumstances. I wasn't let down by it, considering the goals and expectations and needs that I had in picking the book up to begin with.

Blue Moon Promise by Colleen Coble takes place in both Indiana and Texas (mostly, the latter).  When we first meet Lucy, her brother, and her sister, they are living in Wabash, Indiana in the late 1700's or early 1800's. Lucy's life is absolutely falling apart - she is a seamstress that has just lost her job and only means of supporting her family financially.  When she arrives home, she learns that her father has died, their house has been sold and there are people that seem to be out to get them or something in their possession. Additionally, her no good stepmother has abandoned the family in their time of need and after the death of her husband, Lucy's father. 

Lucy is quite fierce and determined to make sure that her family is cared for.  When she learned that her father's death may have been a homicide, she determines that it is safest to leave town. In order to do so, she conveniently accepts a proxy marriage to a young Texan ranch owner named Nate and uproots the family, moving them to the ranch in Texas. However, trouble follows her there. This novel follows her troubles as well as her relationship with Nate as they get to know each other.

I was most surprised by the amount of Christian education in this novel - I think that I missed that this had some of that in the book. I wasn't expecting any and there was some (not as much as in other books that I have read, but it was there - the main subjects were definitely the mystery and the romance, with only minimal attention being made to the Christian parts).  That being said, it was the sort of book that I enjoyed at the time I read it because it was what I was looking for and what I needed to read under the circumstances - I can't read heavy all the time!

I felt very involved in the book right from the get go.  And I read it quickly - it took me two or three days tops to complete and it was an easy, uncomplicated read. The plot moved along and at the end, seemed to resolve in a very quick and succinct way, almost as if the author had panicked about finishing up and thought to herself, "oh, I need to tie this up now and neatly!" There were times when I thought that Lucy's brother and sister's dialogue was more mature for their ages as far as word choice and syntax.  Lucy's sister in the book is, I think supposed to be three and I felt that she was speaking at a developmental level similar to that of my 9 year old.  This wasn't anything that made or broke anything though.

Generally, an ok read - nothing to rush out for, but perfect for me in the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

  It's officially allergy season and I'm dying.  :( Time for the antihistamines! 17 restaurants in Cape Cod that you must visit.  S...