Saturday, October 5, 2019

Local Bookstores Rock!



So, I read this story in The Guardian and it made me so happy.  Jeff Kinney is most famous for writing The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. My son absolutely loves them.  It turns out that his love for books extends to selling them in independent bookstores too - he opened up (or helped to open up) a bookstore in Massachusetts.  It's a little less than 90 minutes from here, on a good day, so I'm considering bringing the kids there because both of them like the Wimpy Kids books.  But that's not the purpose of this post.

I love me a good independent bookstore.  I've always been a reader so that shouldn't be a surprise, but most people don't know that I have my own brand of tourism.  In each place I go to, I try to visit the city's or locale's independent bookstore if one has them.  It started when I was in Portland, Oregon for work and one of my co-workers suggested I visit Powell's, which I of course did, at 7 months pregnant and waddling.  It was the best thing I had ever done and I haven't stopped since and it's been 12 years (well, nearly - I was pregnant with my son).

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing this new store.  My favorite local indies are:

1. Gibson's in Concord.  So dangerous when I used to work in Concord.
2. The Toadstool in Milford.

Please, please, please pay them a visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....