Tuesday, September 29, 2026

REVIEW: Self-Hep for Serial Killers by Asia MacKay


 This is actually the second book in the series, which began with A Serial Killer's Guide to Marriage, although I somehow didn't know this at the time that I selected the book from the library.  The first book introduced readers to the marriage of Hazel and Fox, and this book continues with their story. It is split into five parts: Mindfulness, Self-Sacrifice, Boundaries, Resilience, and Positivity, all of which are meant to be ironic.  Each section opens with a quote by a famous mommy blogger that is intended to be inspirational - she's an influencer after all - and the second quote is from Hazel, which demonstrates the starkness of parenting. 

Foxand Hazel really are in no position to give parenting advice as they bring their four month old to dispose of a body. We learn quickly that Fox is experiencing performance anxiety because he recently botched a kill and is seeing a therapist. Hazel also doesn't feel like she fits in with the other moms at her school so she is going through something very similar emotionally. In the course of their killing and living their lives, they have somehow managed to draw the attention of a dangerous and lethal group to their doorstep so the couple needs to get their poop in a group and FAST as it's not just about surviving in suburbia but it's about fighting for their lives.

What I loved about this book is that it is a tongue in cheek, very witty and satirical look at serial killer teams. I found myself laughing out loud multiple times in this novel, much to the chagrin of my teenage daughter (as I would read in public and would embarrass her). It was a quick, easy and intriguing read, that kept my attention and was a really nice break from the serious stuff I had been reading (about a mass killing!). This novel is definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: Helltown by Casey Shermany to

  This book is in the same vein as Truman Capote's In Cold Blood  - it is a true crime/partially fictionalized book about serial killer ...