Monday, June 5, 2023

REVIEW - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

 


In my opinion, this is one of the best dystopian novels written.  It's the first dystopian novel that I remember reading and it's easily one of the books that I consistently return to at different points in my life. And I end up learning something new every time I read it. The books is told from the perspective of Offred - a handmaid in the new regime of Gilead (which was once the United States). Offred isn't her real name - we learn that it is literally of Fred - the Commander she works for. The Handmaids are forced to provide children by proxy for the infertile couples that they work for - families that are of high status. We learn that Offred remembers the country Before Gilead took over when she had her own family with a husband, child and job.  

The novel is deceptively simply and lyrically written. But don't fall for it - it takes on several very heavy topics that required a few re-readings for me to fully grasp and process. Subjects, like theocracy and reproductive rights, continue to remain viable and significant subjects especially today. Other important and relevant themes include women's limited choices, the subjugation of women in patriarchal societies and the desire for independence. 

The reader should be wary - there are many scenes that are horrifying and triggering and will cause you to cringe. Atwood manages to make Offred's reality real - we can see her life and experience it with her. Atwood was also able to really humanize her other characters.  Definitely a well written warning for us.

Wouldn't recommend for young readers because of some of the violence and themes that occur but definitely a must read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

I hope that everyone had a good week. The weather here  has been warm!  I've been alternating gym workouts with running outside.  the 25...