I have a few that I have been to and one or two that I really want to visit. The ones that I've been to are below.
- The Boston Public Library - what other place has a museum AND a library filled with hundreds upon hundreds of any sort of book that you could ever want to read??? In the heart of a truly wonderful and historic city? I mean, really. I could LIVE there if I put my mind to it.
- The NY Public Library - this is the infamous library from the beginning of the movie, Ghostbusters. The one with the steps and the lions out front that is in Midtown Manhattan. The architecture on the inside, the wooden tables with the lamps and the sheer size of the place make it wonderful.
- The Harvard Bookstore - this is an independent bookstore in Harvard Square in Cambridge. It has author events/signings and sells a fantastic number of bestsellers and local favorites. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Also, the basement has a used book section - always a plus for bibliophiles like me that are looking to sell/trade/buy books and it was a pretty decent selection.
- I went to Powell's once and only once when I was in Portland for a training. First of all, I loved Portland - there's a shocker right? I think that I would totally fit in in an episode of Portlandia. Secondly, Powell's is just amazing. It had the largest used book section that I had ever been in. People were all over the place just browsing, sitting down and reading, discussing books intelligently and passionately, and I felt completely and utterly at home.
There are a few places that I'd like to visit that have the potential to be added to the bookstore Mecca list.
- The Strand - as someone from NY, I am ashamed to admit that I have never once been to the Strand. I've heard amazing things from everyone that I have spoken to that has been there - one day that I take a trip back to NY, I will make it a priority to go to this book store.
- Northshire Bookstore - I mean, just LOOK at it - so cute! And they have Booktopia there!!
What makes something a book Holy Land for you? What are yours?