Sunday, December 25, 2022

Drunk on Love by Jasmine Guillory and some of my favorite things



I think that most of us would have to find new employment if we hooked up with our boss, even unwittingly, but not the characters in Jasmine Guillory's new book. Luke and Margot are living in the popular Napa Valley and meet at a local bar after Luke has just quit his profitable IT gig and Margot is trying to promote the winery she co-owns with her brother. After a really hot night, they are mortified to run into each other the next day...at work at Margot's winery. We spend the novel watching them navigate not only their relationship but also their hang ups related to their families' expectations of them. 

Jasmine Guillory is probably one of my heroes - not going to lie. She graduated from Wellesley in '97 (I graduated in '01) and she went to law school and clerked and has written a few books, all of which I've enjoyed. What I like about her books is that they're fun, engaging and represent people of color in lots of different areas - for instance, Margot is a black woman who owns a winery and Luke is a black man that was in IT. Representation matters. Margot and Luke are professionally successful. 

The novel itself moved quickly and was definitely spicy enough in places. In fact, it's spicier than her other reads. I enjoyed watching the couple navigate the employer/employee relationship and what happens afterwards even with the hot night before they realize the status that they have in each other's lives.  Both Luke and Margot are really awesome people.  They genuinely are. But they can't seem to get out of their own ways at times which was infuriating.  Ultimately though, I loved this read.  

***
On another note, I have created a new page that talks about some of my favorite things, including blogs that I read and podcasts that I listen to.  It's located on the side over there. Please feel free to visit and I'd love to put your whatever on there if you're interested!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

  It's officially allergy season and I'm dying.  :( Time for the antihistamines! 17 restaurants in Cape Cod that you must visit.  S...