Sunday, August 16, 2020

Seeking Suggestions

 


So I have a lengthy TBR list - it seems like the moment that one comes off, there are like legit, three or four to take that completed book's spot.  I am, however, terrible at figuring out what books I should get my kids to read and so I'm going to respectfully ask everyone here!  A littel bit about my kids and what they like:

My son is 12 - he'll be 13 in December. He is currently tearing through Harry Potter everything - the movies, books, you name it. He liked The Hunger Games books, the Divergent Books, Ender's Game and the Scythe books.  He enjoys reading but isn't a particularly fast reader.

My daughter is a bit more tricky. She's 9 and it's more of a struggle to get her to read. Where my son will pick up books and read (he was reading in the car on the way to ziplining and camping, and at camping would often prefer to sit at camp and read), it's definitely a battle to get my daughter to read. She loves graphic novels best. She reads at grade level.

Of course I'd love to hear recs for me - but this is about getting suggestions for my son in daughter. That being said, I'm not going to discourage you from leaving three recs in your comments - one for each of us! 

3 comments:

  1. I love to offer suggestions for kids. Your son is on his way, having found a genre he likes. A couple of books my sons loved when they were around his age were The Phantom Tollbooth and Animal Farm and Redwall. I am trying to read all the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read and a couple of those I liked were Amulet of Samurkand series and Mister Monday series and Wolf Brother.

    I've always liked books with lots of illustrations. I wonder what sorts of stories your daughter likes. It would be nice for her to find a series she likes, maybe with lots of illustrations. Or you and she could start the book together until she gets comfortable with the characters and the plot. I'm a huge fan of anything Kate DiCamillo. Who could resist Where the Sidewalk Ends? Little House stories are nice, too.

    Some kids love nonfiction, too. Or books of jokes.

    Some good books I've read this year are Olive Kitteridge; The Last Flight; I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening); Simon the Fiddler; The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo; Migrations; The President's Hat; Poldark; The Flat Share.

    I hope you or your kids find something here that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THose sound like good places to start! I'll get some for him - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 9 year old loved the graphic novel adaptations of The Baby-Sitters Club (and everything else by Raina Telgemeier) and a she read all of Carl Hiaasan’s books last year. Maybe try there? It sounds like your son’s on a roll. There’s SO MANY good YA books in that genre. He might like Marie Lu’s trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

REVIEW: The Women by Kristin Hannah

  I admit, I'm partial to Kristin Hannah . I find her books entertaining (sometimes not so life changing), but definitely worth reading....