Sunday, November 10, 2019

Why I Like the Walking Dead

So, for those of you that haven't figured it out yet, I have a penchant for dystopian fiction.  In large part, it's because I find that it's the most effective way to critique things that are going on in our society currently. And with the way certain parts of the world are going, it's eerily and scarily imaginable - not that there will be a zombie apocalypse soon (hardly - I hope. ;) ) but societies passing certain laws that make the country more of a religious then secular state.  So it shouldn't be any surprise that I enjoy The Walking Dead.

For those of you that don't know, TWD started as a comic book series created by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore , and which focuses on Rick Grimes, a deputy that awakes from a coma after he has been shot only to learn that his world has tremendously changed and he struggles to figure out why. AMC eventually developed an insanely popular TV show that was based on the comics - although I think that at some point it begins to diverge from the comics.  This blog post focuses on the show. 

I love the show because I think that it is a treatise on humanity and what happens to it when people are thrown into survival situations.  While there are definitely times you feel absolutely devastated that some people become what they are, ultimately there are moments of redemption in which you see how other people recognize each other as family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

  It's officially allergy season and I'm dying.  :( Time for the antihistamines! 17 restaurants in Cape Cod that you must visit.  S...