Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I'm so woefully behind in my reviews!

This is the second book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. It continues the story of Katniss Everdeen and the futuristic, post apocalyptic world of Panem. After winning the 74th Hunger Games, Katniss and her co-victor/lover Peeta return to their home District - District 12 - located in Appalachia and the poorest of the Districts (with the exception of 13, which has been obliterated). There are rumors of rebellion among the other districts, which hold Katniss up as their leader/figurehead. As a result of her, rebellion has been sparked and President Snow threatens to kill Katniss' family if she doesn't comply with his orders. After going through the districts on their victory tour and having Peeta propose, the two victors learn that the 75th hunger games will pit past victors against one another. The balance of the book is about the 75th Hunger Games.

I loved this novel as much as I loved The Hunger Games.  It is unique, has un anticipated twists and turns and I love the characters, even the ones that you're supposed to hate.  They are all so deep and their motivations multi-layered. Collins had done what many authors have tried, unsuccessfully, to do: write a deeply powerful sequel that rivals the depth and power of the first.  I can't wait to read the third!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links I love

I hope that everyone had a good week. The weather here  has been warm!  I've been alternating gym workouts with running outside.  the 25...